1 Day Course: Basic Lab Skills
This course is designed to introduce or reinforce basic laboratory skills that analysts utilise on a daily basis. We ensure that all staff are trained in basic laboratory skills such as weighing, pipetting, titration, volumetric work, moisture determination, pH determination, use of laboratory notebooks, etc.
We have designed a series of exercises which cover the practical content of each section. These are designed to cater for learners with a wide-range of previous experience
- We limit numbers per company so that each delegate gets the opportunity to ask questions and participate fully in practical exercises
- As this course is delivered on-site, we can design the course material to suit your specific training needs
- Customisable written assessments are available if required!
Contact [email protected]fic.com for more information.
New laboratory staff need to be inducted and given training in basic laboratory skills but why waste valuable time and money preparing them in-house? Crawford Scientific have the experience and know-how to design and implement effective training plans. Now that’s one less thing to think about.
We will customise a program to your needs that incorporates existing SOPs and protocols so that new staff quickly become well versed in basic laboratory operations and are following best practice. We will also take the opportunity to review existing laboratory practices, ensuring that they are compliant with current regulatory guidelines and best practice.
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for new analytical staff, but it can also be tailored around specific procedures and instrumentation to provide an invaluable refresher for the experienced user.
It is assumed that you are familiar with the safety and quality standards which you are expected to adhere to on a daily basis. Background knowledge of different techniques, plus all the essentials of separation science, statistics, etc—all fully covered in the course.
What you will learn
- An introduction to working in the laboratory
- Labelling and housekeeping
- Use of balances
- Use of volumetric glassware
- Use of pipettes
- Preparation of buffers
- Setting up analytical instrumentation
Labelling and Housekeeping Units of Measurement
- Methods of quantitation
- Accuracy and precision
- Repeatability and reproducibility
Use of Balances
- Use of correct measuring procedure and recording
- Balance location and house keeping
- Calibration of balances
Use of Volumetric Glassware
- Glassware grade
- Cleaning and care
- Dilution errors
- Temperature, solution and mixing effects
Use of Pipettes
- Positive displacement autopipettes
Use of pH Meters
- Introduction and theory
- Determining pH
- Buffer solution and pH electrode characteristics
Instrumentation Setup Protocols and Pre-Run Checks