Course Overview | Download course details »
This one day course provides a step-by step approach to method development for HPLC.
All sections are accompanied by participative tutorial exercises using interactive chromatgraphic modelling software simulations for increased understanding of critical concepts.
Who is this course for
This course is designed for the more experienced chromatographer with a good working knowledge of HPLC separations. Attendance of the Fundamental HPLC and HPLC Troubleshooting and Maintenance training courses is not compulsory but is advantageous.
Delegates should have a good knowledge of chromatography and experience as HPLC users. Some experience in method development is recommended. A good grounding in chemistry is also beneficial.
What you will learn
- Setting method development objectives
- Sample preparation
- System choices
- Choosing a column and mobile phase
- Optimisation strategies
- Quantitation and system characterisation
- Establishing method objectives
- Literature searching: What is known? What needs to be known?
- Sample clean up
- Analyte extraction
- SPE explained
- Mobile phase selection
- Optimising for sample type/application
- How to choose the appropriate injector/detector
- Typical operating conditions
- Developing and optimising injection conditions
- Mobile phase flow & band broadening (Van Deemter)
- Modes of chromatography
Choosing a Column and Mobile Phase
- Choosing the correct phase
- Computer-based tools for column choice
- Effects of column geometry
- Review of modern stationary phases
- Isocratic vs. Gradient operation
- Theory and development of eluent gradients
- Capacity factor, Efficiency, Resolution, Selectivity
- Resolution equation
- Step-by-step guide for logical method development
- Example method development
Quantitation & System Characterisation
- Single and multi-level calibration
- Internal standards
- System suitability testing
- Introduction to validation
We recommend that course numbers are limited to 20 so that each delegate gets the opportunity to ask questions and fully participate in tutorial exercises.
As the training is delivered on-site, we can design the course material to suit your specific needs.
Customisable written assessments are available if required
Contact [email protected] for more information.