Resolving a problem with HPLC is usually straightforward. Finding the root cause of the problem within the complex environment of an HPLC analysis is much more challenging. This training seeks to develop a process driven approach to troubleshooting the entire holistic process, allowing delegates to develop skills to be able to tackle any problems.
These skills are applied within a strongly workshop driven environment, where we use many of the most common issues seen with HPLC analysis to consolidate the taught practices.
This is a challenging module and delegates should already have a good understanding of the HPLC process and associated instrumentation.
- How the chromatographic process takes place
- The architecture of a LC system
- Working principles and problems associated with each component of the system
- How to use chromatograms to troubleshoot chromatographic problems
- Best practices for column use and care
- Best practice in system maintenance and performance evaluation
The troubleshooting process
- Getting the full picture
- Instrument benchmarking
Troubleshooting Contamination Issues
- Extra peaks
- Baseline disturbances
Troubleshooting Column Related Problems
- Physical column damage
- Pressure issues
- Fronting / tailing peaks
- Split peaks / shoulders
- Preventing column issues
- High noise
- Low signal
Overview of Tackling Method Related Issues
Tackling Issues Related to Analyst Error
- Common errors during preparation
- Calculation errors
This course is designed for those relatively new to LC and ideally will follow-on from attendance to the Fundamental LC training course.
Some previous knowledge of gas chromatography and basic experience are recommended but not essential.
HPLC Method Development
Calibration and Quantitation
Post event learning
Take your HPLC troubleshooting learning further by understanding the fundamentals of how your HPLC system works.
To help you build upon the knowledge gained from attending our HPLC Troubleshooting training course, we have collated our CHROMacademy animated and video content for you to access at any time in support of the taught training material. You will also find some extra practical information and exercises for you to fully hone your skills.
- Instrument animations – pump
- Instrument animations – autosampler
- Instrument maintenance videos – Agilent pump
- Instrument maintenance videos – Agilent autosampler
- Instrument maintenance videos – Agilent UV detector
- Column cleaning/regeneration procedureAdditional exercises
- What next?
- Ask the tutor
Element are the brains behind CHROMacademy - the world's largest eLearning platform for the analytical sciences. Used in labs across the world, the flexibility and level of details could be the perfect training solution for you.